Sunday, January 10, 2016

Week 24: Judgment Day 2016 ~ January 4, 2016

Hola!

Well we had transfers this week and now I'm in Aguascalientes!  After 4 months in Zacatecas the time has come for me to learn a new area. I was sad to leave my previous ward in Zacatecas and am nervous to have to learn a whole new place, but I'm excited to get to meet new people and keep expanding my horizons.
  
My last week in Zacatecas was pretty great. Still very hard because... well it's Zacatecas and it was also new years, but there were a lot of miracles.  The first was when we we were teaching a couple that are members of the church.  The husband has been a member for more than 30 years but was inactive for almost all of that. The wife got baptized a little over a year ago and is honestly one of the kindest, most loving people I have ever met. Many times during our lesson with this family I wonder why she ever married him.  They started dating when they were older and got married the day before the hermana was baptized.  Although she is very sweet he is... very critical.  I don't think I've ever heard him say a nice thing about anyone other than himself.  It was very hard for us to visit this family and listen to the unkind things this hermano said to his sweet wife.  Tuesday we went to share a message with them and we were teaching one thing and suddenly we started talking about charity and about how it has to be reflected, not only in our actions, but also in our thoughts and our words.  I honestly don't think this hermano heard a single word that we said, but at the end of the lesson the hermana had tears in her eyes and told us that the lesson was an answer to her prayers.  I've never had someone tell me that something I did was an answer to their prayers and it was so special to feel like I was fulfilling my purpose as an instrument in the hands of the Lord.
 

After that we went to a lesson with a family of investigators. We were in the living room talking with the son of the family when his sister and the dad came out with a cake and they were singing and there was presents. The whole nine yards! It was so sweet that they remember my birthday and wanted to celebrate with me.  

New Years Eve and New Years day were a little slow because there was almost no one in the streets and we could only visit members.  If I thought Christmas day was a hard day for missionary work it was only because I'd never been a missionary on New Years Day. Most of the people celebrated until the very early morning and so they we're asleep until well into the afternoon.  

Sunday, not one of our investigators came to church, but it was still a very special day.  First because there were more people there than have been the whole time I've been in that ward. Almost 100 people.  There were a lot of people who have a lot of time outside the church and it was exciting to see them there.  The other thing that happened is on Saturday, the elders talked to someone in the street and invited him to church.  The elders gave us his number because he lives in our area, and guess what! HE CAME TO CHURCH! Never had even one lesson with the missionaries and he came to church. Not only that but he got up and bore his testimony! Well.. More explained why he came to church. He doesn't really have a testimony to share but it was still and awesome thing.  And because there is someone who is genuinely interested, of course I was transferred to another area and won't be able to teach him.  But that's OK.  I just have to start looking for people who are as prepared as he is here in my new area.  

This week I was ready in Gospel Principles about Judgment Day, and I really like something that it said there.  It says "In reality, every day is a day of judgment. We speak, think, and act according to celestial, terrestrial, or telestial law. Our faith in Jesus Christ, as shown by our daily actions, determines which kingdom we will inherit." I love that! It really makes you think about the choices that you're making and which type of law they follow.  

Well I love you all! Have a great year!! 


Hermana Schmidt








No comments:

Post a Comment